Friday, September 13, 2024

You Really Wanna Help?

 There is so much conflicting opinions about people who are fat. Or obese. Personally, I think the word obese sounds classier. Saying just "fat" sounds very low-class. Like calling black people the "n" word. No matter whether the person chose to be fat or not, saying the word "fat" just sounds very crude. I've gotten all kinds of people giving me all kinds of excuses they use to call fat people names. Some of the most common excuses I hear are:

"Fat people are a strain on our health care system"

"I hate fat people"

"I call fat people names to get them to lose weight"

"Fat people choose to be fat"

Frankly, I don't believe any one of them! I think they're all bullshit. I think those excuses were propagated by people who think they're funny, but really aren't, and probably just popped out of their mommy's ass that morning. I want to use this post to translate what I believe people who use these excuses are really saying. If you ask me, calling anyone names, whether it be because they are too fat, or too thin, or the color of their skin, or have a disability, is nothing short of a bully. I also want to debunk the excuses that I can.

Fat people are a strain on our health care system. →→ Now, you cannot get me to believe you are cruel to fat people because you're worried about the health care system! Especially if you are a child anywhere under 20 years old! I don't mind the name-calling. But don't lie and say you're calling me names because you are worried about the health care system! I'd have a little more respect for you.

I hate fat people. →→ OK. So what? I hate a lot of things. That does not mean I'm going to be cruel to that thing. I hate lions. That does not mean I'm gonna go out and kill every lion I see. I believe in live and let-live.

I call fat people names to get them to lose weight. →→ Believe me, fat shaming does not work! It may work in the moment, but it won't last. Some fat people eat to help themselves feel good. So, when the anger from being called names wears off, an average fat person will turn to food for comfort. Fat-shaming only works about maybe 1% of the time, if not less.

Fat people choose to be fat. →→ Well, not always. There are some factors that cause people to gain weight that are beyond their control. Besides the usual thyroid problems, there is also Crohn's disease, medications, and even complications from a surgery (such was the case for me) that can cause someone to put on weight. And sometimes being fat is genetic. You don't know what that person's situation is. So, it's best not to judge.

I've actually seen a person who said he rides on his bicycle every day, and always makes it a point to ride-by insult any fat people he sees. I told him he's a coward. A wussy! Anyone who would call someone names passing by them in their car or on a bicycle is obviously a person who has some deep-rooted, severe problems of their own, and too cowardly to face anyone. And I would also venture to say those people who do that feel some amount of shame for being so cruel and having no class.

If you really want to help fat people lose weight, you know what really works? Encouragement! If you see a fat person walking down the street, then either leave them alone or very nicely state "Good job walking! Keep up the good work!" Trust me, that works a hell of a lot better than calling them childish names. Someone like me, I'm more likely to listen to someone who is kind and friendly than someone who is mean and hateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Racist Door-Lockers

 I recently watched a video by Matt Walsh, who did an interview with a man who was complaining about how we lock our doors when we're at...